The Mobile Care Worker application is the platform on which Worker’s will view their rota, log in and out of care Visits and see additional Client information.
It is important to note that although a data signal is required to update the rota and information on mobile devices, they can still be used without one in areas of poor signal. The phone will cache (save) the information and send it through to the system when a signal is resumed.
In the last article we discussed the setup of usernames and passwords to be able to access the application, and the parameters in terms of time windows within which it acceptable to log in and out. Here we will look at the use of the application itself, with the understanding that Workers will have had their expectations in terms of mobile working explained to them. Some expectations are outlined below. The app will update changes made to the rota on the Business Manager system in real time, although in reality it may take a few moments to appear, just like sending an email.
- It is essential that Workers use the device to log in to Visits when you arrive
- It is essential that Workers use the device to log out of Visits when you leave
- It is essential that Workers regularly check your schedule on the device to make sure it is correct
- It is essential that Workers communicate with care coordinators when changes occur that they do not know about
- Navigate to https://mcw.icarehealth.co.uk. Users can keep doing this, but it is much more useful to create a shortcut on their home screen for them so they can just click on the icon to launch. This is usually done by navigating to the above address, viewing options (which may vary on each device) and clicking ‘Add to Home Screen’.
- However you access Mobile Care Worker, you will be presented with a login screen asking for your username and password. Enter your credentials and tap ‘Log In’ to gain access. For security reasons, never ask your device to remember your password, although your username will be cached/saved for next time so you shouldn’t have to keep entering this.
- Upon logging in you will be presented with the Schedule screen showing you your rota, and five buttons along the bottom of the screen. The app is designed to be intuitive, so although basic details are given here, users should find it almost self-explanatory to use.
- This shows your rota for the coming days, as far as has been published by system users.
- The blue bar shows your Shift. Contained in the blue bar is the amount of working hours you have during that Shift in the form of Visits. The Visits are listed as white bars underneath. The ‘Start’ button on the Shift should be clicked as soon as you start your working day.
- Click on each white bar (displaying the Clients name and the Visit time) to see more information. Click on the Name of the Client to see information about them sent from Business Manager, such as their emergency contact details or assessments.
- Click on the address shown to load a map highlighting the location.
- View Tasks that are to completed during the Visit
- Click to say whether you are walking or driving to load up the device sat-nav to direct you to the Client’s property. This uses data and requires a data signal
- At the appropriate time, click Start Visit at the top of the screen to start the Visits when you arrive, then click End Visit to log out again when leaving. If you are doing these two tasks within a very small amount of time you may be warned that you have not been at the Visit very long.
- Click on Tasks to ‘tick them off’ saying they are completed. You can also add a new task not already on the list if you wish.
- Click Send Message to allow you to type a message to the office about that Visit. The Visit, Worker and Client information will automatically be attached to the message if you send one via this method
- After the Visit is completed it will automatically take you to the next one in your schedule. End the blue bar/Shift when you have finished for the day.
- Mail – Messages appear in several formats in Mobile Care Worker. Messages can be sent to and from the care coordinators like an internal email system, but some messages also appear automatically to inform you of things such as a cancelled Visit.
- Click Mail > New to send a message. If you have received a message from the office click Reply to write back.
- Note that this will not attach any Visit information like sending one from within the Visit.
- Additionally, extra work can be offered to Carers in the form of a message via the Mobile device. Automated messages include:
- Updated Schedules are available to view
- You have been assigned a new Visit
- One of your scheduled Visits has been changed or cancelled
- Click this button whist on any screen to view more information about it. The content will change depending on what screen you were on when you clicked Help
- This is possibly the most useful button on the app. Click Next to jump straight to the next bit of logging in or out that you have to do. If reading messages, for example, click Next and it will take you straight to the next Visit you have to log into without having to go via the Schedule first.
- Click Menu to see a list of available options. The most useful among these are View Map, Sync Now and Log off. Viewing the map will load up a map of your current location provided you have internet signal. Sync Now is useful for pulling through data which may not have been updated. For example if you have had your device switched off for a long period of time or if coming out of an area with no mobile signal.
Note: Mail messages can be sent from the core Business Manager system. One of the tabs on the left menu is called Mail, and shows a count of how many unread messages there are from your Workers.
Manage all aspects of your messages from here, noting that you can create a History note from messages to attach to the History section of a Client and Worker if necessary.
When using Business Manager to allocate care, it is also possible to ‘offer’ work to staff who use the Mobile Care Worker application. When right clicking on a Visit and pressing Allocate, you will be displayed with a list of workers just as normal. The Workers who have Mobile Care Worker credentials are show with a small silhouette next to their name. Right click on one of these Workers and click ‘Offer Visit’. This sends a message to the Worker giving the details of the work and then a Yes or No option as to whether they would like to pick it up. If they say Yes the Visit is allocated to that individual and will appear in the Schedule.
You can offer Visit to as many Workers as you like. The first one to accept the Visit will trigger a process whereby the Mail message is removed from all other devices as not to cause confusion.