Adding Financial Expenses
As well as standard pay and invoicing, the system can also be used to process expenses incurred by a Worker when caring for the Service User. The typical example is where a Worker may take a Service User out for the day and pay for things like drinks etc. out of their own pocket. Expenses such as this can be recorded, paid back to the worker and included in the pay run, as well as charged back to the client and included in the invoice run.
Having the expense appear on both the Pay and Invoice Run is optional, meaning that the expense can be just a one off payment or charge if needs be. This is useful for things like one off mileage expenses or charges.
Adding an expense is very simple and can be done from a single screen in most cases.
- Navigate to Worker > Financial screen
- Click New under Expenses, the bottom half of the screen
- Add a Description of the Expense, this will appear on Invoice or Pay Advice so make sure you contain the appropriate amount of detail
- Add a date for the Expense. This should be the date the expense was incurred
- Enter the Charge details of the Expense to be charged back to the client. Select the Client and the Contract from the dropdown and add an amount. You can select whether to credit or debit the account
- Enter the Pay details, the Worker will already be selected. Enter the amount of the expense and whether the expense is taxable.
- Click OK to save the expense
- Alternatively you can enter the Expense via the Client. Navigate to Client > Financial and click New under the Expenses section there. This activates a short Wizard which asks the same information as above. The first step is whether the expense is Monetary or an Adjustment of Hours, which affects Client Budgets (see article in System Building 2 – Worker and Client Financials for more information on this)
The Expense will be picked up in the Pay or Invoice Run which covers the date of the expense. The detail appears at the bottom of the Pay Advice of Invoice respectively