User Security Settings
Created users (as accomplished in the previous article) need to be assigned security credentials to determine which areas of the system they have access to; what they can see, delete and edit.
Some projects are more open when it comes to system access for staff members, while others have a case for being more stringent. Whatever the requirement, all aspects can be managed via one screen.
Existing users can always revisit this screen to change or refine the credentials for their users whenever they wish.
- Once logged into the system (using supplied credentials if a new project), navigate to Settings > Security.
- To amend the credentials of an existing user use the drop down at the top of the screen to select their name, right click on their name and select Properties. If doing this as part of creating a new system user (article 2), once the account has been created click Yes when asked if you would like to set permissions for the user now
- You will be presented with a screen that details every aspect of security for the selected user. Each entry is categorised roughly into the options you will see under the tabs listed down the left hand menu of the screen. For those unfamiliar with the system, if you click on a tab, e.g. the Worker tab, several options appear below it all relevant to Workers. Although not always the case most options are listed out in this Security screen
- Each column on the screen represents a different ability that the user will be able to perform, namely Read, Modify, Create, Delete and Export. The ‘All’ column will simply tick all options
- No options selected means that the option will not appear at all for that user. If no option under the tab heading are selected, the entire tab will not appear for the user instead of just options within it.
- It may be quicker to use the ‘Give Full Permission’ button in the top right corner, then remove the permissions you don’t want to give the user. This ticks all permissions for users with the exception of anything under the Settings section. This always has to be done manually
- The process will need to be repeated for each user.
- When complete, the user will be able to log into the system using their credentials and only have access to the parts of the system you want them to see. This can be amended at any time by repeating the process
Note: This is probably a good point to note that there is no ‘Save’ button in the system. The system saves every time a user navigates from one field to another, so if you are selecting permission boxes, each time you click a new one, the previous one will save. This is best practice for ensuring that no data is lost by accident.